• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Australia and Hong Kong blazed with a new wave of Coronavirus
What can we learn from the new outbreaks of Covid-19 in Australian cities and Hong Kong. Where are countries possibly going wrong? Is it too early for countries to relax their lockdown restrictions? What can the UK, which has recently started relaxing its outdoor policies learn from the new clusters found in Hong Kong and Australia?
Like   Reply
I think that countries are not going wrong with lockdowns efforts but rather with contact tracing efforts. In my opinion, in this current time period, technology should be heavily leveraged to help with contact tracing. Preventing the spread of the virus at the cost of privacy is a deal that anyone government should take. This is a very unusual time, and desperate times call for desperate measures.
Like   Reply
(07-11-2020, 11:36 AM)Shreya6 Wrote: I think that countries are not going wrong with lockdowns efforts but rather with contact tracing efforts. In my opinion, in this current time period, technology should be heavily leveraged to help with contact tracing. Preventing the spread of the virus at the cost of privacy is a deal that anyone government should take. This is a very unusual time, and desperate times call for desperate measures.
Interesting take with the "preventing the spread of the virus at the cost of privacy is a deal that any government should take." We're living in a world that's increasingly populist, right-from centre or absolutely right-wing, and borderline authoritarian in many cases. This 'desperate times, desperate measures' rhetoric is exactly what's led to the criminalisation of solidarity in countries across the world, not to mention the unwarranted arrests of countless innocent civilians. In an ideal world, you wouldn't have to worry about your government misusing your data, but can you tell me that that won't be the case here? The consequences of this are way beyond just the current COVID-19 situation— it's a massive legislative precedent.
Like   Reply
(07-20-2020, 10:28 AM)Poorvika1108 Wrote:
(07-11-2020, 11:36 AM)Shreya6 Wrote: I think that countries are not going wrong with lockdowns efforts but rather with contact tracing efforts. In my opinion, in this current time period, technology should be heavily leveraged to help with contact tracing. Preventing the spread of the virus at the cost of privacy is a deal that anyone government should take. This is a very unusual time, and desperate times call for desperate measures.
Interesting take with the "preventing the spread of the virus at the cost of privacy is a deal that any government should take." We're living in a world that's increasingly populist, right-from centre or absolutely right-wing, and borderline authoritarian in many cases. This 'desperate times, desperate measures' rhetoric is exactly what's led to the criminalisation of solidarity in countries across the world, not to mention the unwarranted arrests of countless innocent civilians. In an ideal world, you wouldn't have to worry about your government misusing your data, but can you tell me that that won't be the case here? The consequences of this are way beyond just the current COVID-19 situation— it's a massive legislative precedent
Can you please explain your point in this convoluted mess? I am not proposing something radical, just that contact tracing is made more efficient with the help of technology, the way South Korea did - through app-based anonymous contact tracing. I do not see the 'criminalisation of solidarity' there. In retrospect, I should have said "preventing global recession, the deterioration of the psychological health of citizens, and the millions and millions of families from losing their loved ones, at the comparatively minuscule cost (or rather inconvenience) of a temporary period of reduced privacy, is a deal any government should take".

-And just as a side note, if you believe in the fabricated narrative about data privacy, try and familiarise yourself with Edward Snowden and Julian Assange. Hopefully, that will pop your bubble.
Like   Reply