• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Blockchain and its discontents
Don't get me wrong, Blockchain is definitely a revolutionary space. However, I have never paid much attention to cryptocurrencies because I always felt like they lacked an intrinsic value that is evident with public and private equities. How could you bet on something logically without knowing its financials? Alas, with the recent twitter hack that operated as a scam on the richest men on planet earth and other influencers' accounts, how can I feel safe in a growing decentralised world of blockchain, knowing if I have been scammed or mistreated, no one can ever find the perpetrators?
Like   Reply
(07-19-2020, 02:27 PM)timfoster10 Wrote: Don't get me wrong, Blockchain is definitely a revolutionary space. However, I have never paid much attention to cryptocurrencies because I always felt like they lacked an intrinsic value that is evident with public and private equities. How could you bet on something logically without knowing its financials? Alas, with the recent twitter hack that operated as a scam on the richest men on planet earth and other influencers' accounts, how can I feel safe in a growing decentralised world of blockchain, knowing if I have been scammed or mistreated, no one can ever find the perpetrators?
Its ironic how cryptos were created to keep anonymity and now, no one can be held accountable for the scams because of the anonymity and decentralisation.
Like   Reply
(07-19-2020, 02:31 PM)Jonas10 Wrote:
(07-19-2020, 02:27 PM)timfoster10 Wrote: Don't get me wrong, Blockchain is definitely a revolutionary space. However, I have never paid much attention to cryptocurrencies because I always felt like they lacked an intrinsic value that is evident with public and private equities. How could you bet on something logically without knowing its financials? Alas, with the recent twitter hack that operated as a scam on the richest men on planet earth and other influencers' accounts, how can I feel safe in a growing decentralised world of blockchain, knowing if I have been scammed or mistreated, no one can ever find the perpetrators?
Its ironic how cryptos were created to keep anonymity and now, no one can be held accountable for the scams because of the anonymity and decentralisation.
Exactly my point. I believe we are very far from a decentralised way of living. I am sure more than half the population doesn't even know what Blockchain is, they just hear "bitcoin" everywhere and think 'oh yea wish I bought that ages ago'. These scams just go on to show how far the extremes of our society's knowledge is on tech.
Like   Reply
(07-19-2020, 02:36 PM)JudyS17 Wrote:
(07-19-2020, 02:31 PM)Jonas10 Wrote:
Exactly my point. I believe we are very far from a decentralised way of living. I am sure more than half the population doesn't even know what Blockchain is, they just hear "bitcoin" everywhere and think 'oh yea wish I bought that ages ago'. These scams just go on to show how far the extremes of our society's knowledge is on tech.
Yea, it would be nice if a finch expert could reply here with their thoughts on blockchain.
Like   Reply