• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Should US ban TikTok?
The White House is considering putting TikTok on a blacklist that would effectively prevent Americans from using the popular video app, as one option to prevent China from obtaining personal data via the social media platform. Given the rise of cloud storage and consolidation of tech-only companies, should US companies be weary of Chinese tech? Could this move hinder the global collaboration on tech?
Like   Reply
Though somewhat similar to what you have said, Huawei and UK is also a trending topic at the moment. it is the same risks of potential national security breach issues that theUK will be restricting Huawei on its 5g network. This definitely isn't good news for Chinese conglomerates but China is the hub of cheap tech, this definitely is bad news for international collaboration in my opinion. Would anyone like to weigh in?
Like   Reply
I do agree with both of your views. I would like to add a counterargument. Maybe with less international collaboration, we could see a gain in efficiency by US and UK tech giants with the increase in competition. It also makes it less likely for China to imitate US tech, which has been ripping US off for a while now. Maybe, we can see new and more innovative products from both sides of the world, but with limited exposure I don't know how society will be able to reap benefits of both economies?
Like   Reply
(07-19-2020, 02:09 PM)JudyS17 Wrote: I do agree with both of your views. I would like to add a counterargument. Maybe with less international collaboration, we could see a gain in efficiency by US and UK tech giants with the increase in competition. It also makes it less likely for China to imitate US tech, which has been ripping US off for a while now. Maybe, we can see new and more innovative products from both sides of the world, but with limited exposure I don't know how society will be able to reap benefits of both economies?

Well, US and UK tech companies could become monopolies or with large influence on the market given lower competition from Chinese low-cost tech. That's a big worrying sign. Especially if they do so with high costs there won't be any gain towards efficiency. For example, in the UK with Huawei out of the picture, do you really think UK telecom companies will be able to maintain the similar margins as they could before?
Like   Reply
(07-19-2020, 02:05 PM)Rsingh77 Wrote: Though somewhat similar to what you have said, Huawei and UK is also a trending topic at the moment. it is the same risks of potential national security breach issues that theUK will be restricting Huawei on its 5g network. This definitely isn't good news for Chinese conglomerates but China is the hub of cheap tech, this definitely is bad news for international collaboration in my opinion. Would anyone like to weigh in?

I agree, this will definitely hinder international collaboration. A bunch of Chinese apps, including tik tok, were also banned in India recently. Again for national security issues. In my opinion, this just highlights the biggest barrier to tech companies for international collaboration- fear of security breaches.
Like   Reply
@timfoster10 what are your thoughts on this?
Like   Reply
(07-19-2020, 02:12 PM)Shreya6 Wrote:
(07-19-2020, 02:05 PM)Rsingh77 Wrote: Though somewhat similar to what you have said, Huawei and UK is also a trending topic at the moment. it is the same risks of potential national security breach issues that theUK will be restricting Huawei on its 5g network. This definitely isn't good news for Chinese conglomerates but China is the hub of cheap tech, this definitely is bad news for international collaboration in my opinion. Would anyone like to weigh in?

I agree, this will definitely hinder international collaboration. A bunch of Chinese apps, including tik tok, were also banned in India recently. Again for national security issues. In my opinion, this just highlights the biggest barrier to tech companies for international collaboration- fear of security breaches.

Thanks for @Rsingh77  Smile

Yea definitely Shreya6.Especially with Twitter getting hacked in the crypto currency scam. It just shows no matter how advanced we are getting, our security is trailing behind.
Like   Reply
Oh yes, thats a good point timfoster10. I heard a rumour on how the Twitter hack was associated with an insider. Possibly a rumour. Maybe we could get a thread going on the decentralisation of cryptocurrency and what it means in a centralised world. Because, essentially the wallet to which the scam was linked to is untraceable across blockchain.
Like   Reply
(07-19-2020, 02:17 PM)timfoster10 Wrote:
(07-19-2020, 02:12 PM)Shreya6 Wrote:

Thanks for @Rsingh77  Smile

Yea definitely Shreya6.Especially with Twitter getting hacked in the crypto currency scam. It just shows no matter how advanced we are getting, our security is trailing behind.
The twitter hack was hilarious though.
Like   Reply
(07-19-2020, 02:20 PM)Rsingh77 Wrote: Oh yes, thats a good point timfoster10. I heard a rumour on how the Twitter hack was associated with an insider. Possibly a rumour. Maybe we could get a thread going on the decentralisation of cryptocurrency and what it means in a centralised world. Because, essentially the wallet to which the scam was linked to is untraceable across blockchain.

Fantastic idea, I definitely want to increase my knowledge on blockchain and its associated fields. I have always refrained from learning off bitcoin as such. I am old school - into value investing.
Like   Reply